The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare appointed Dr Jagat Ram as the Director of PGIMER Post Graduate Institute of Medical Research in Chandigarh. He completed his MBBS from Indira Gandhi Medical College Shimla and MS in Ophthalmology from PGIMER in Chandigarh.
PGI was out of full-time director since October 2016 and now Dr Jagat Ram joins as the Director of PGIMER Chandigarh. He was among the three doctors on the shortlist for the post of Director and was placed lowest on the shortlist but still achieved with his capability to tackle the situations in OPD.
- WHO fellowship at the USA in 1993-1994 and the second one in 1998.
- He headed the Ophthalmology unit of PGI for 26 years, working for Eye Bank Society of India for 24 years.
- He is the chief coordinator of International Council of Ophthalmology (London) from India.
- He has performed 9500 surgical procedures in children.
- Recipient of 24 National and International awards.
- Awarded ”Best of the Best Winner” for the discovery of a new surgical technique at San Francisco, USA 2013.
- Recipient of Oscar Paediatric Ophthalmology in Barcelona 2015.
- Over 300 research publications to his credit publications like the New England Journal Of Medicine.
Dr Jagat Ram wishes to raise PGI to another level and ensure that the institute ranks at the top among all the other medical institutes. He promises to tackle all the problems occurring in the OPD’s along with his team of doctors, nurses, technicians, administrators. Director of PGIMER commits to using more digit methods for appointment in order to avoid the rush in the hospital and make people aware of certain new technology for their benefits.
Congratulations to Dr Jagat Ram Director of PGIMER to achieve such a post which some cannot even dream off. Hope to see some betterment in PGIMER.