The memory of first Prime Minister in Chandigarh in sector 9 is in the neglected condition. Not many people are aware of it that The Lily Garden is dedicated to Nehruji even after people frequently visit the garden. Hardly fewer people know about the historic significance of this garden.
On April 2, 1952, first Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru surveyed Chandigarh from an observatory in NEHRU Memorial in Lily Garden in Sector 9. But because of the lack of knowledge, this place is in the state of neglect.
Nehru’s Baby Chandigarh Is Neglecting His Memory:
Mr. Nehru first Prime Minster of India had the vision to develop the city beautiful the way it is today. Around 65 years ago, from this place, Jawahar Lal Nehru carried out a survey from this observatory on April 2, 1952. He shares a strong connection with Chandigarh but after that UT Administration has failed to maintain his memory in Lilly Garden that lies approximately, 200 meters away from the UT Secretariat in sector 9, Chandigarh.
What Is The Present Condition Of Nehru Memorial
The UT Administration has failed to maintain the memorial that was dedicated to Nehru. Jawaharlal Nehru saw the layout of Chandigarh from this spot on in 1952. This memorial was inaugurated by Dr. M S Randhawa, chief commissioner, on February 27, 1967, three years after the death of Nehru. But the present condition of this memorial is not in good state.
- This place has historic significance after that it is neglected and UT Administration is not maintaining it like other gardens in Chandigarh as the city is known for its beautiful gardens.
- Hardly anyone knows about the historic significance of the garden even many people visit this garden frequently.
- This Garden has not been whitewashed from many years that is important to maintain its beauty.
- Chandigarh residents are unaware about the historic relevance of the place.
- No prominent board or signages, the memorial is nestled in the residential area of Sector 9.
This is really a shameful act because the government is neglecting this place even this place share some historical significance. UT Administration should take some steps to improve the present condition of Nehru memorial.